How To Become A Guardian

Guardianship often comes up when an elderly parent begins to develop age-related dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. In these situations, their adult children need to have the legal authority to help take care of their parents.

Unfortunately, if your parent did not designate you as his or her agent under financial and health care powers of attorney, you will need to go through the guardianship process to get the legal authority you need. This must be done in advance of need. If your parents are already incapacitated, they will not have the legal capacity to give you power of attorney.

At Goodwin Como, P.C., in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, our lawyers can help you navigate this complex legal process to become your parent’s legal guardian. We also handle other types of guardianship such as guardianship of an adult disabled child. While the parents are naturally able to make medical and legal decisions while the child is a minor, they need to be officially declared that child’s guardian after he or she reaches 18.

Minors who get money through life insurance payments or personal injury settlements may also need official guardians to handle their finances. That money belongs to them, not the guardian, but they must wait until they are adults to have control over it. The guardian deals with the money in the meantime.

Working Through The Guardianship Process

Specific steps must be followed to officially appoint a guardian. We have years of experience and we understand the ins and outs of the process. We are a reliable, responsive, client-focused law firm. Our guardianship attorneys will give you the personal attention you deserve. We can help you start the process, advise you of your legal duties as a guardian and answer any pressing estate questions you have. These questions could include:

  • Who can become a guardian?
  • What if family members do not agree on who should become a guardian?
  • What are my responsibilities as a guardian?

For More Information About Legal Guardianship

If you would like to continue, feel free to contact us online or call us at 724-438-1616. We offer free consultations.