An Uninsured Driver Attorney Will Fight For Your Compensation

According to the Insurance Information Institute, nearly one in eight drivers in the U.S. are driving without automobile insurance. If an uninsured driver has hit you, you have options for recovering money for your injuries and damages. Here at Goodwin Como, we serve clients in Uniontown and throughout Southwestern Pennsylvania who have been injured by an uninsured driver. We are eager to hear your story in your own words and swing into action to help. We’ll investigate your claims, explain your best options, fight for you, and help you obtain justice and financial compensation. We have recovered millions in verdicts and settlements for people just like you over the years.

What Do I Do If an Uninsured Motorist Caused My Accident?

Generally speaking, if the driver who hit you did not have the automobile insurance required under Pennsylvania’s Financial Responsibility Law, you have two primary options other than your own no-fault coverage:

File a Personal Injury Lawsuit

Here at Goodwin Como, we can help you file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver. Unfortunately, if the underinsured driver didn’t have the money to pay for insurance, he or she may not have enough money to pay your damages. Filing a lawsuit against a person without money or assets is a losing proposition. Sometimes, however, we are able to uncover assets such as real estate owned by the uninsured driver through public records that can be sold and used to pay damages in the event we are able to obtain a judgment against the uninsured driver.  Additionally, Pennsylvania law will suspend the driver’s license of any driver who has an unsatisfied judgment against them arising from an automobile accident. Simply put, the uninsured driver will not be able to get his or her driver’s license back until they pay the judgment.

File an Uninsured Motorist Claim

Filing a claim based on your own automobile insurance policy may be the fastest way to recover financial compensation for your injuries and losses if you have “uninsured motorist coverage”. Most people don’t even realize that their own insurance policy may have a provision that provides them with financial benefits when they are injured by an uninsured driver. In the event you have multiple vehicles or insurance policies in your household, you may be able to recover uninsured benefits from multiple auto insurance policies. The claim should cover your damages up to the policy limit.

Report the Accident to the Police

It is important to report the accident to the police, particularly if the at-fault driver fled the scene. Many uninsured motorist policies require that a police report be filed with regard to a hit-and-run accident before uninsured motorist benefits can be obtained.

Uninsured Driver FAQs

Do I Have to Show Proof of Insurance When I Register My Vehicle?

At the time of initial registration, PennDOT requires all motor vehicle owners to provide proof that they are financially responsible, i.e., have liability insurance.

What Constitutes Proof of Insurance?

Proof of insurance may be established by showing a copy of any of the following documents:

  • A certificate of self-insurance from PennDOT.
  • A valid binder of insurance from an insurance company licensed to sell motor vehicle liability insurance.
  • The declaration page of an insurance policy.
  • An insurance identification card.
  • A letter from the insurance carrier signed by an insurance agent or another authorized insurance company representative verifies the proof of financial responsibility of the insured on official company letterhead.
  • An application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan signed by a licensed insurance agent or broker.

Will Providing an Affidavit Stating My Vehicle Was Not Operated During the Lapse in Insurance Coverage Exempt Me from Serving a Three-Month Suspension?

Such an affidavit will exempt you from serving a three-month suspension only if you obtain insurance coverage in less than 31 days from the date the insurance lapse began.

Contact Us

Contact us today or call us at 724-438-1616 for your free consultation. We will review your auto policies to determine all the money you are eligible to collect. There is no risk to you; you don’t pay unless and until we recover the financial compensation you deserve.